Beanacre Barn Blog
- A view from the top of the Mendips!
A somewhat occasional blog in which we aim to provide news and comment on local events, happenings and items of interest from the viewpoint of 700+ feet on top of the Mendip Hills.
As this is the first post in the Beanacre Blog I thought it might be appropriate to provide a brief history of our village of Binegar Medieval Village The early name of the village was Begenhangra, in a charter of 1065, which probably meant the “slope where beans are grown”. We adopted the early meaning of the village name in naming our cottage, the Beanacre Barn! Located on the A37 about 14 miles south of Bath and 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Wells, It had a population in 2011 of 313. The Norman Church of the Holy Trinity was rebuilt in the 15th century, and again rebuilt (except for the tower) in 1858 for Rev William Heade. The tower contains two bells dating from 1776 and made by William Bilbie of the renowned Bilbie family. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. (ack…Read More
Just down the hill from the Beanacre Barn in Binegar lies the cathedral city of Wells, England’s smallest city and a historical gem! Wells is named after the three wells dedicated to St Andrew, one in the market place and two within the grounds of the Bishop’s Palace and Cathedral. Roman & Medieval City The city was a Roman settlement and was later the site of a minster church founded by the Anglo-Saxon King Ine in 704. In 909, it became the seat of the bishopric of Bath and Wells in1245. The present Cathedral was built in early 13th century. Wells was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Welle. English Civil War During the English Civil War (1642–1651), the city was surrounded by Parliamentarian guns on the Bristol, Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet sides. The Royalists evacuated the city and Parliamentarian troops then used the cathedral to stable their horses and damaged much of the ornate sculpture by using it for firing…Read More